Doctor Ervin L. Godfrey Obituary

Dr. E. L. Godfrey, Eminent Physician, Answers Final Call

 

From the Colon Express newspaper, December 19, 1935: “The death of Dr. E. L. Godfrey, one of colon’s most highly esteemed citizens and undoubtedly the oldest practicing physicians in this part of the state, brought a tinge of sadness to practically every home in the entire community. That greatness of a man’s heart and worthy deeds are never brought fully to light until his work is finished on this earth is very true, and applies well to the life of Dr. Godfrey, judging from the kindly words of commendation from practically every citizen one meets.

Conversing with the venerable physician only a few months ago, and touching on his being so active for a man of his years, Dr. Godfrey remarked that he would like to be on duty until the last moment of his life. That wish was granted. Saturday, December 14th, the day of his passing, he made the usual calls, taking care of office business and visited seve3ral stores as was his usual custom. Soon after the supper hour he complained of feeling ill. Mrs. Godfrey summoned his son, Dr. G. E. Godfrey, who, with Dr. F. L. Hartman, came immediately, came immediately, finding that he was beyond medical aid, death coming a few minutes after their arrival. About a week previous to his death, Dr. Godfrey suffered a slight heart reaction from which he quickly revived and continued to minister to others until the final hour came last Saturday evening.

Volumes might be written of the well-spent life, nearly sixty years of which were given to this community in the profession of physician and surgeon. It mattered not whether it was a call from a home in the best of circumstances or from one in deepest poverty, Dr. Godfrey was always ready and willing to aid. No matter what the time, day or night, or conditions of roads or weather, he would get to that home if it were possible.

How times have changed since Dr. Godfrey began practice in this community sixty years ago cannot truly realized by only a very few of the older citizens. As he once said: “It is a wonderful age in which to live.”

He was always abreast of the times, being one of the first to make use of the bicycle, and for years had a stable of good driving horses which were kept busy night and day speedily taking the Doctor on his rounds of many miles to visit patients. When road conditions were bad, before graveled roads were thought of, he made his rounds in a two-wheeled cart. He was one of the first to purchase an automobile in this community, which could not be used to advantage as there were only dirt roads for years after purchasing his first car.

While the profession was his main objective, and his entire time throughout his life was devoted to it, he was also deeply interested in the development and progress of the town and community and willing to aid in the promotion of worthy movements, finding time to keep well posted on the political situation and affairs of the world in general. Advanced years did not in the least retard his activities.

Dr. Godfrey is revered by a great number of young people who made their home there during their high school days. For years the Godfrey home has made it a practice to engage a boy or girl, and some of the time both, who wished to attend the local high school, and many of the were given further aid in going on to college or assisted in other lines of endeavor.

Erwin L. Godfrey was born at Attica, New York, September 28, 1852, and with his parents, Dr. and Mrs. L. M. Godfrey, came to Michigan in 1861. he attended the Colon public school and secured a business education from the Jackson Business College. In 1876 he graduated with high honors from the Hahnemann Medical School in Chicago. Dr. Godfrey succeeded his father in the medical profession, taking over his father’s business in Colon when he moved to Indiana.

Dr. Godfrey was married in September, 1873, to Miss Belle M. Grover, who departed this life on October 23, 1888, leaving her husband and five children, Clara E., Ina A., Jay L. Glenn E. and Eva E. His second marriage was with Miss Julia I. Patridge, Dec. 4, 1889, who was called to the great beyond Jan. 5, 1920. her death being mourned by the children whom she reared.

Dr. Godfrey was again married August 14, 1920, to Miss Mabel Lamb, who survives, together with five daughters, Mrs. Ina A. Morris of Chicago and Mrs. Eva Rex of Defiance, Ohio; three sons, Clare Godfrey of Morris, Ill., Dr. J. L. Godfrey of Buchanan, and Dr. G. E. Godfrey of Colon,, and twelve grandchildren.

The funeral service was held at the home in Colon Tuesday afternoon at two o’clock, Rev. Stanley Buck, pastor of the Methodist Church, officiating. The remains res in the family lot in Lakeside cemetery.”

Charles Clement Obituary

CHARLES CLEMENT DAN OF MERCHANTS DIED LAST NIGHT

 

From the Colon Express newspaper, August 14, 1930: “Charles Clement, pioneer businessman and veteran, passed away last night at 10:015. Mr. Clement has been growing more feeble this winter as the weeks passed, and it was plain to be seen the end of life’s journey was drawing to a close. He had been confined to his home the past week but able to be about the house some of the time until Wednesday afternoon when his condition became serious and his sons, Ralph and Forney, of Ann Arbor, were called to be with their father at a late hour last night.

Mr. Clement was one of the few remaining Civil War veterans in this township, having an enviable record as a soldier and in late years enjoyed rehearsing happenings of that memorable event. He was undoubtedly the oldest resident of our town, and would have reached his ninetieth year in  few weeks.

While Mr. Clement retired from active duty several years ago, he was for many years a foremost businessman of Colon, operating a general store, the Clement double store being well known. He was also interested in the Lamb Knit Goods Company, being its president for many years, retiring from that responsibility only a few years ago. He was active in all thing relating to the progress of the town and community until advanced age would not permit.

The funeral services will be held at the home Friday afternoon at one o’clock and burial will be made in the Leonidas cemetery in the family lot.

Mr. Clement was a life member of the Masonic fraternity which organization will have charge of the service. All business places will close during the service in respect to the dean of Colon merchants.

Further particulars regarding this worthy citizen will be given next week.”

Reverand P. C. Cyphers Obituary

GO-GETTER’S MOURN LOSS OF REV. CYPHERS

 

Rev. P. C. Cyphers was born October 16, 1841, at South Bend Brook, New Jersey, and passed away at his home in Romulus, Michigan, June 1, 1928.

Of the immediate family he is survived by his widow, one daughter, four sons, two grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.

He was a Civil War veteran, serving with the 11th New Jersey volunteer Infantry. He was a member of Nankin Lodge No. 396, I.O.O.F. of Wayne, Michigan.

Rev. Cyphers was pastor of the Baptist church about thirty years ago, remaining here several years, leaving this pastorate in 1897.

Both Rev. and Mrs. Cyphers were seriously ill with the flu a few weeks ago and while both seemed to be recovering, Rev. Cypher’s advanced age was a handicap. He had, however sufficiently improved to be able to visit his sons in Wayne, and the day before his death wrote letters to some of the old Colon friends, planning to write to others the following day. There was no noticeable change in his condition when he retired last Thursday evening, or when he partook of a light lunch early Friday morning. But when Mrs. Cyphers went to his bed to ask if he cared to have breakfast, whe wound he had entered into that sleep which knows no waking.

The Go-Getters  have lost by death many dear friends and members but no death has brought more sorrow and none will be more missed than this dear brother.

His funeral occurred at his home near Romulus, Monday, June 4th. Those from Colon who attended were Mr. and Mrs. John Watson, J. E. Mosher and Mrs. Alma Hartman.

Rev. Cyphers death, coming on the eve of the Go-Getters annual reunion, causes those in charge to pause in due respect to the valuable member, but all who knew this venerable gentleman know that his message would be to carry-on with the plans and this will be done.”

 

David L. Akey Obituary

Obituary of David L. Akey

 

From the Colon Express, June 7, 1928: “The sudden death of David L. Akey, Tuesday afternoon, was a severe shock to his relatives and hundreds of friends throughout the community and county, and by his Colon suffers the loss of one of its most valued pioneer citizens.

How often have we conversed with Mr. Akey’s business associates and men who met him daily commenting on his remarkable alertness regardless of his nearly eighty years, and he carried on with his activities until the end which came at 12:30 Tuesday afternoon.

Mr. Akey’s death came without a moments warning. He had spent the forenoon at home, working in the garden, and showed not a sign of illness or feeling out of the ordinary while at the noonday lunch. Recievne a telphone call from Mr. Mangold that he would come to the home on some legal business. Mr. Akey went to his room to change clothes and prepare for the afternoon’s business. Mr. Mangold came shortly, and upon his arrival Mrs. Akey conversed with him a moment then went to the room to assist Mr. Akey and found that he had collapsed. Mr. Mangold assisted in removing him to a comvortable place and Dr. Harman was hastily summoned, but he could not be revived, having suffered a severe heart attack.

Davud K, Akey, one of the most worthy pioneers of Colon and of St. Joseph county, was one of a family of ten children, the sixth son of Robert and Phian Zimmerman Akey, was born September 2, 1848, in the state of Ohio. The only surviving member of the family being Alonzo Akey

 

Doctor W. E. Doran Obituary

COLON MOURNS LOSS OF DR. W. E. DORAN

 

 

From The Colon Express, December 10, 1925: ”When word of the sudden death of Dr. W. E. Doran last Sunday morning, a pall of sorrow reached over the entire community. The people immediately realized that one of the most influential, most progressive and helpful citizens had been suddenly taken from our midst.

Death came while he was confined at Sturgis Memorial Hospital where he had been taken only a few days previous suffering with an acute attack of Erysipelas. Following is a tribute to Dr. Doran, which was read at the services, which bespeaks the heart of every citizen in the community. No tribute could be too glowing for this worthy citizen.

There was scarcely room in the Methodist Church to accommodate the people who came to pay their respects to Dr. Doran. The services were held at two o’clock Tuesday afternoon, the Masonic fraternity having charge, and was largely attended by its members of the order, as well as by the Knight Templars and members of the local American Legion Post of which he was a member. The final resting place is in Lakeside cemetery.

 

WILLIAM ECK DORAN

March 9, 1879 – December 6, 1925

When the sad tidings of the Doctor’s death smote this village last Sunday morning, sorrow was in every heart and a gloomy silence pervaded every home.

William Doran prepared for his life’s work as a physician and surgeon, graduating with the Class of ’04. He has recently been connected with the Lecturing Staff of his Alma Mater. He immediately began active practice here in his hometown where he has been closely associated with every phase of our civic existence, educationally, socially, morally, politically, fraternally and in his professional capacity.

He was married to Juelma Slover June 30th, 1904.

The Doctor took great pride in his home, providing every comfort and convenience for his mother, wife and son. Jack has been the center of their lives and an important factor in their ideal home life.

The Doctor’s home was his shrine. It was there his gentle nature found and shed earth’s richest joys amongst mother, wife, and son and friends.

To them his death is a calamity unspeakable, but in his good name and in his great and spotless reputation they have all that death can leave to alleviate its pain.

Next to his home came his profession, which so engrossed his time and talents that he would never entertain any political aspirations although he has developed our school and library to their present state of civic excellence as an active member of the boards of those institutions.

Like his father before him, he has always been an active and enthusiastic member of the Masonic fraternity. To his brothers and companions of the local Masonic orders he has been the guiding and directing hand of all their deliberations and activities. He has occupied all of the chairs in the Masonic orders of Colon and was also Past Worthy Patron of the Order of the Eastern Star. The Doctor was also a member of the Columbia Commandery No. 18 of Sturgis, and of the Russell A.Welty Post of the American Legion.

A brother, Edgar, of Hollywood, California, is left to mourn his loss.

Doctor Doran was 46 years, 9 months and 27 days of age.

Thus ends an eventful life; short in years, but great in accomplishments and of inestimable value to this community.

“Every man is valued in this world as he shows by his conduct that he wishes to be valued.”

Dr. Doran was a gentleman of the highest ideals, a clean life and successful in all his endeavors. We who are left value him as one of life’s noblemen.

No questionable act ever marked the fair pages of private or professional life of this man among men. No flaw was ever found in his armor thru which the shafts of envy and slander could enter and would his name. He was gentle yet strong, courteous yet brave, ready to extend the soft hand of charity and graspwith comprehensive thought the issues of the day.”

 

Doctor Ervin L. Godfrey

“Messenger of Mercy” Half Century, Colon’s Doctor Is Village Pioneer

 

From a Battle Creek Newspaper, June 7, 1925:

Dispensed Early Services by Bicycle, Had First Automobile in Town – It Was a Rambler, but It Often Failed to Ramble, He Says – Depended Upon Two-wheeled Cart in Urgent Cases

 

*   *   *   *

Ever-burning Light in Window of His Offices Is Symbol of His Readiness to Answer Calls for Medical Aid Night or Day – Has Made Home for Many More Children than the five of His Own.

 

*   *   *   *

 

(By Staff Correspondent) “ Colon, June 6, — As colon’s “messenger of mercy” for nearly half a century, Dr. Ervin L. Godfrey is thought to be the oldest resident of the village and a pioneer practitioner in the vicinity of the country.

The growth and development of Colon is synonymous with the life of Dr. Godfrey, who has tended sick of the countryside for 46 years, having been a resident here since 1860. he is declared to be the oldest consecutive resident of the village and according to all expectations, will take the gold-headed cane on homecoming days her June 14, 15, and 16.

Of the old school of physicians, Dr. Godfrey first dispensed his services to the village by bicycle. He had the first pneumatic bicycle in town. Later he took a two-wheeled road cart. He started using that as a mode of travel 35 years ago and wore out six or seven of them. He is expected to take part in the big pageant of progress scheduled for the three-day homecoming here next week, when he will ride in one of his old-fashioned two-wheeled cats with an umbrella in the center, just as he used to ride over a quarter of a century ago.

“A lighter cart like that traveled easier, I could drive harder in more urgent cases,” says Dr. Godfrey. And when asked if he would plan to ride in the pageant of progress, he replied, “Yes, if they want me to, I will.”

Dr. Godfrey bought the first automobile owned in Colon 20 years ago. “It was a Rambler, but it didn’t always ramble,” says Dr. Godfrey, “and when I was in any particular haste I always relied upon my horses and little road cart.” He then had a stable of five horses.

 

 

 

Dr. Godfrey standing beside his Rambler in front of his home and office.

 

Dr. Godfrey’s father was a physician before him, and two of his three sons are dentists. Dr. J. E. Godfrey is in Buchanan and Dr. Glenn Godfrey is in Colon, the president of the village. The oldest son, Claire E., is postmaster in Morris, Ill. Dr. Godfrey also has two daughters. And in addition to his own family of five, he has fathered and made a home for a number of homeless children, who grew up in his home and were given the opportunity of schooling. “How many,” he says, “So many that I can’t remember just exactly how many we have raised.”

The Godfrey home was built 40 years ago and was the finest home in the village at the time it was built. At the rear is a large garden which is tended by Dr. Godfrey himself. He can be seen early in morning working there. when he sleeps, seems to be a mystery, for he responds to a call at any time of the day or night. Many stories are told in the village of little kindnesses done by Dr. Godfrey through the silence of the night to the bedside of some patient.

It is well known fact that a light may always be seen shining in the office window at the Godfrey home at night and Dr. Godfrey’s creed seems to be embodied in his quiet words, “If I am able to go, I’m willing to go at any time.”

Dr. Godfrey has brought three generations of children into the world and has acted as family physician for two and three generations of the same family. He will be 73 on his next birthday.

Being constantly on the road in answer to summons for services, Dr. Godfrey as a young doctor found that he could not attend an entertainment without being interrupted in the middle of the evening by a request to go on a call. “So I soon lost the habit,” he says, “and never go anywhere now,” he says.

Through flood and storm, rain or shine, Dr. Godfrey has never failed when called. Now he is the outstanding figure of the town as he goes, a smiling, white-haired man, on errands of mercy. Dr. Godfrey is not only a village and country doctor. He is a village institution.”

 

 

 

Thomas Jefferson Hill

Death of Thomas Jefferson Hill

H

From a newspaper clipping, August 1914: “Thomas Jefferson Hill — Youngest son of Elisha and Pamelia (Pope) Hill, was born in Liberty, Union County, Ind, October 5th, 1840, and quietly passed away at his home in Colon, August 5th, 1914. Had he lived until October 5th, he would have been seventy-four years of age.

The deceased came from and old and well-known family, whose name is closely linked with the history of the community. Both Mr. Hill (illegible) locating at Colon with their family in 1849. They were strong in character, vigorous in purpose, indomitable of will, and their strong personalities were handed down to the children, Mrs. Pamelia Hill, the mother, was a descendent of General Pope, coming from one of the best known families in the New England States.

Thomas J. Hill passed virtually all his life in St. Joseph, having come to Colon when but nine years of age. When seventeen years old he began his business career in his father’s store, and from that time until he was seventy years of age he was closely allied with the business and civic life of the community. He has been an indefatigable worker, his strong will and personality bringing success where others had failed.

In 1870 the E. Hill and Sons Exchange Bank (now known as the E. Hill and Sons State Bank) was organized by the father, Elisha Hill, and the two sons; T. J. Hill holding the office of cashier and vice president until 1909 when he became its president.

 

In 1891 Mr. Hill became manager and superintendent of the Lamb Knit Goods Company, which had been organized two years before. When he took charge of the business it was but a comparatively small concern, but under his skillful management and natural executive ability the business soon began to grow, and continued to do so until the factory and its superintendent were known, not only throughout Michigan, but throughout the country. After nineteen years of service and successful management, Mr. Hill severed his connection with the Lamb Knit Goods Co. in 1910.

The deceased was married in 1863 to Miss Fannie Crippen, of Milford, Mich. To this union were born two children, Nellie, who died at three years of age, and Frank E. Hill.

In 1898 Mr. Hill was married to Mrs. Evelyn (McNiel) Doak of Springport, Mich., and to this union were born three children, Marian Elizabeth, aged 14, Edwin R. Jr., aged 13, and Thomas Jefferson Jr., deceased.

Two years ago Mr. Hill suffered a stroke from which he never fully recovered. But owing to his immense energy and strong will power he did not give up and his familiar figure could be seen upon the streets only a few days before his death.

 

 

Thomas Jefferson Hill with part of the staff at Lamb Knit Goods Company

 

Five days before the end came he was taken to bed and was unconscious a part of the time. About sundown of last Wednesday, as the village clerk struck the hour of six, his spirit passed on into eternity.

During the closing weeks of the deceased’s life his faithful and loving wife was his constant attendant. She (illegible) of loving heart could do to make his last hours comfortable and happy. She was to him a wife, companion, nurse and mother, and her administrations are now a source of satisfaction and solace to her. His last days were also brightened by the presence of all his children, and grandchildren who were never far away.

Mr. Hill leaves to mourn their loss, a wife, his son Frank E., cashier of the E. Hill & Sons State Bank, one daughter, Marian E., and his youngest daughter, Marian E., and his youngest son, Edwin R. Jr., besides other relatives, a host of business associates, former employees and friends.

Mr. Hill loved his home, was generous to a fault, loyal to his friends, charitable in spirit, kindly toward all, unostentatious, reverential in spirit for the things that were sacred. He was respected by all who knew him, trusted by the community, and he will now be missed, for the large place he filled in the business and civic life of the village and community round about. Thus has passed away another early settler, homemaker, and friend of the people from our midst.

—-

We wish to express our gratitude to the friends who so kindly assisted during our recent sorrow; to Rev. Vernon for his words of comfort, to Mesdames Watson and VacSlyke for their sweet music, for the expressions of sympathy, and the beautiful floral offerings.

MRS. THOMAS J. HILL,

MARIAN AND EDWIN HILL,

MR. AND MRS. FRANK E. HILL AND FAMILY

 

The Thomas Jefferson home was located on South Blackstone (was Main St.) in Colon, right across the street from Lamb Knit Goods Co. The home was later occupied by Percy Abbott and was razed to allow for the curve in M86. That is the present funeral home in background.

Jane A. Tomlinson Obituary

Obituary for Jane A. Tomlinson

 

From the Colon Express, February 8, 1901: “AN ACTIVE LIFE Was that of Mrs. Tomlinson. Brought to a close with a Cheerful Submission.

Colon has suffered the loss of another of its brightest mothers in Israel. She was ever doing her Master’s will. No cases of want, suffering or neglect escaped her notice or compassion. It was he will to do, and she rejoiced in her Christian activities. The family circle, the church to which she was devoted, and the community, have suffered an irreparable loss. But a few days before departure to a brighter world, she expressed a readiness and willingness to obey the final summons, although she was apparently in excellent health and spirits at the dinner hour, with no thoughts of impending harm. During her illness, which lasted but four days, she expressed the same thought with a smile to her pastor. She was converted to God at the age of twenty and was an active member of the church militant at Colon for thirty-two years, with an abundant entrance to the body triumphant, with a faith calm and abiding as that of a child as it sinks to rest in the arms of a loving parent. She was also identified with the Grange order for some time.

Jane A. Kennedy was born at Galway, Saratoga County, New York, January 5, 1825, and died a Colon, Michigan February 2, 1901, aged a little over seventy-six years.  Her birthplace was twelve miles from Saratoga, and her parents were Alanson Kennedy and Electa Kellogg. Her grand father, John Kennedy, fought with bravery in the war of the Revolution as a volunteer from New York, and her mother’s people were of strong lineage. Her brothers and sisters number thirteen and of the family nine grew to maturity and to be fifty years of age, the youngest departing first. A sister, Miss Martha Kennedy, aged eighty-two, at Buffalo, and a brother, Edward Kennedy, aged eighty, at Marshalltown, still survive her.

With her parents she had come west on the Erie Canal to Yates, Orleans County, New York, and ten years later on March 17, 1845, she was united in marriage with Orlson Tomlinson, with whom she lived happily until they had completed fifty years of wedded felicity. They settled in Carlton, in that county, and remained there about thirteen years, until 1858, when the family went to Illinois.

They soon after returned to Michigan and settled on a farm at Fairfax they occupied thirty-four years, or until the death of Mr. Tomlinson, August 24, 1893. He had been a man of treat versatility, thrift and enterprise, having taught school, written for newspapers as correspondent and for several years bought produce on commission in connection with his farming. After his death she has lived in this village and her cheery countenance was an inspiration to all.

Seven children enjoyed her care and devotion. They are Leona, wife of D. B. Wagner, Mrs. Diana Wilkinson, Ella, wife of Wm. Wente of Manistee, Orlson C., formerly in the business of contractor here, but who has recently moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico, for relief from asthma, Minnie C. Wildt of Homer, and William H., engaged in the building and lumber business here. Lucy A. died about sixteen years ago at the age of nineteen. Of the grand children there are, sixteen, and of great grandchildren five.

Funeral service was held at the M. E. church Monday afternoon. Rev. Thompson officiating. The floral tributes were surpassingly beautiful and profuse, there being a rose for every year of her life, and the discourse from Revelations 7, 13 was touching and appropriate.”

John W. Hall Obituary

 

Obituary of John W. Hall

 

From a newspaper clipping at the Colon Community Historical Society Museum, dated 1909: “John W. Hall was born in Boston, near Brantford, Ontario, Canada, August 23, 1834. His parents were George A. and Mary (Barton) Hall. He was the second of a family of seven children.

At the early age of fourteen-he left home, coming to Kalamazoo County, Mich. He next went to Centreville, engaging in cabinet making and as undertaker.

When the call came for volunteers to go South Mr. Hall went, enlisting at White Pigeon, August, 1861, in Company A, 11th Michigan Infantry, serving as a corporal. The great change in his mode of living, however, had its natural effect upon his health and eighteen months later he was obliged to accept his honorable discharge. He returned to Centreville, but still served his country as a recruiting officer.

In October 1862, he was married to Miss Mary Ann Sanderson, an adopted daughter of Isaac Belote of Centreville, in which place they settled. One child was born of this union, Isaac Charlton, who still lives to mourn his father.

In 1885 he went into the general merchandise business in Colon. He was for 22 years the deputy sheriff and constable of Colon township; also engaging in the livery business for 18 years.

Mr. and Mrs. Hall have raised four children besides their own; Emma (Belote) Moore, Albert Belote, Kathleen Palmer and their grandson Johnie.

In 1906 Mr. Hall sold out his business interests in Colon, retiring to private life at Fairfax, Mich., where he passed away February 1, 1909, aged 74 years, 5 months and 9 days.

He leaves to mourn his death, a widow, a son, an adopted daughter, seven grandchildren and a host of friends. Funeral services were held from the Colon M. E. church Wednesday, February 3, 1909, Rev. O. L. Beebe officiating, and interment made in Lakeside cemetery.”

 

Doctor Issac Sides Obituary

 

DR. SIDES IS DEAD

 

From a newspaper clipping at the Colon Community Historical Society Museum, dated March 18, 1904: “At the Ripe Old Age of 84 Colon’s pioneer Physician Passes Away. Last Friday afternoon, at about 3 o’clock, after failing health for several years and recent sickness of four weeks, Dr. Issac Sides passed from this life, aged 84 years, 2 months and 11 days.

Dr. Issac Sides, a physician and influential citizen of Colon, being the elder of two children, was born in the city of Harrisburg, Pa., January 7, 1820. His parents both died while he was quite young, and his early years were passed with his mother’s sister, Miss Sarah McNutt, of Millersburg, Pa. At nine years of age he went to Lewiston, Pa., to the home of his aunt, Mrs. Mary Meishelmer, with whom he lived until he was 17 years old. He graduated from the high school when 18, and in his 20th year entered a medical college.

March 18, 1841, he married to Miss Elizabeth Strunk, and in 1856 they located to Colon. To this union were born three children, Charles, who died at 10 months of age; Juniatta E., widow of E. S. Schermerhorn, and George M., both of whom are residents of Colon and were able to be with their father in his last illness. The mother departed this life June 27, 1885.

Dr. Sides again married January 1, 1890, to Mrs. Harriett Pitts, who has been a faithful wife and helper to him in his declining years. Dr. Sides not only loved his own children but exhibited a father’s love for his step-daughter, Miss Dora Pitts, which was tenderly reciprocated.

Dr. Sides is an active member of the democratic party and was postmaster at Colon during President Cleveland’s first administration.

His parents were Presbyterians, his sister Methodist, his wife Presbyterian. He himself was friendly to church organizations and joined the Congregational church a few years ago, and during his illness claimed the merits of Jesus Christ, the savior of his redemption.

He has been prominent for more than 60 years in the I. O. O. F., having passed through its various degrees and served in many of its most honorable offices. Also has been an active member of the F. & A. M. for 50 years. The members of both orders regarding him with reverences and love as a patriarch in their work.

The funeral, which was held from the M. E. church last Monday afternoon, was one of the largest ever held in Colon, and was under the auspices off Dennies Lodge, No. 96, of which he was a founder.