Obituary for Jane A. Tomlinson
From the Colon Express, February 8, 1901: “AN ACTIVE LIFE Was that of Mrs. Tomlinson. Brought to a close with a Cheerful Submission.
Colon has suffered the loss of another of its brightest mothers in Israel. She was ever doing her Master’s will. No cases of want, suffering or neglect escaped her notice or compassion. It was he will to do, and she rejoiced in her Christian activities. The family circle, the church to which she was devoted, and the community, have suffered an irreparable loss. But a few days before departure to a brighter world, she expressed a readiness and willingness to obey the final summons, although she was apparently in excellent health and spirits at the dinner hour, with no thoughts of impending harm. During her illness, which lasted but four days, she expressed the same thought with a smile to her pastor. She was converted to God at the age of twenty and was an active member of the church militant at Colon for thirty-two years, with an abundant entrance to the body triumphant, with a faith calm and abiding as that of a child as it sinks to rest in the arms of a loving parent. She was also identified with the Grange order for some time.
Jane A. Kennedy was born at Galway, Saratoga County, New York, January 5, 1825, and died a Colon, Michigan February 2, 1901, aged a little over seventy-six years. Her birthplace was twelve miles from Saratoga, and her parents were Alanson Kennedy and Electa Kellogg. Her grand father, John Kennedy, fought with bravery in the war of the Revolution as a volunteer from New York, and her mother’s people were of strong lineage. Her brothers and sisters number thirteen and of the family nine grew to maturity and to be fifty years of age, the youngest departing first. A sister, Miss Martha Kennedy, aged eighty-two, at Buffalo, and a brother, Edward Kennedy, aged eighty, at Marshalltown, still survive her.
With her parents she had come west on the Erie Canal to Yates, Orleans County, New York, and ten years later on March 17, 1845, she was united in marriage with Orlson Tomlinson, with whom she lived happily until they had completed fifty years of wedded felicity. They settled in Carlton, in that county, and remained there about thirteen years, until 1858, when the family went to Illinois.
They soon after returned to Michigan and settled on a farm at Fairfax they occupied thirty-four years, or until the death of Mr. Tomlinson, August 24, 1893. He had been a man of treat versatility, thrift and enterprise, having taught school, written for newspapers as correspondent and for several years bought produce on commission in connection with his farming. After his death she has lived in this village and her cheery countenance was an inspiration to all.
Seven children enjoyed her care and devotion. They are Leona, wife of D. B. Wagner, Mrs. Diana Wilkinson, Ella, wife of Wm. Wente of Manistee, Orlson C., formerly in the business of contractor here, but who has recently moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico, for relief from asthma, Minnie C. Wildt of Homer, and William H., engaged in the building and lumber business here. Lucy A. died about sixteen years ago at the age of nineteen. Of the grand children there are, sixteen, and of great grandchildren five.
Funeral service was held at the M. E. church Monday afternoon. Rev. Thompson officiating. The floral tributes were surpassingly beautiful and profuse, there being a rose for every year of her life, and the discourse from Revelations 7, 13 was touching and appropriate.”