Obituary of John W. Hall
From a newspaper clipping at the Colon Community Historical Society Museum, dated 1909: “John W. Hall was born in Boston, near Brantford, Ontario, Canada, August 23, 1834. His parents were George A. and Mary (Barton) Hall. He was the second of a family of seven children.
At the early age of fourteen-he left home, coming to Kalamazoo County, Mich. He next went to Centreville, engaging in cabinet making and as undertaker.
When the call came for volunteers to go South Mr. Hall went, enlisting at White Pigeon, August, 1861, in Company A, 11th Michigan Infantry, serving as a corporal. The great change in his mode of living, however, had its natural effect upon his health and eighteen months later he was obliged to accept his honorable discharge. He returned to Centreville, but still served his country as a recruiting officer.
In October 1862, he was married to Miss Mary Ann Sanderson, an adopted daughter of Isaac Belote of Centreville, in which place they settled. One child was born of this union, Isaac Charlton, who still lives to mourn his father.
In 1885 he went into the general merchandise business in Colon. He was for 22 years the deputy sheriff and constable of Colon township; also engaging in the livery business for 18 years.
Mr. and Mrs. Hall have raised four children besides their own; Emma (Belote) Moore, Albert Belote, Kathleen Palmer and their grandson Johnie.
In 1906 Mr. Hall sold out his business interests in Colon, retiring to private life at Fairfax, Mich., where he passed away February 1, 1909, aged 74 years, 5 months and 9 days.
He leaves to mourn his death, a widow, a son, an adopted daughter, seven grandchildren and a host of friends. Funeral services were held from the Colon M. E. church Wednesday, February 3, 1909, Rev. O. L. Beebe officiating, and interment made in Lakeside cemetery.”