DEDICATION AND JUBILEE
Newspaper clipping from the Archives of The Colon Community Historical Society, dated October 14, 1915: “With Gov. Ferris and Good Weather a Large Crowd Should be in Colon Today
Everything is in readiness for a gala day today when Colon’s new library building donated by the late Oliver B. and Mary E. Culver will be dedicated followed by an old fashioned jubilee.
The Colon Concert Band will furnish music for the occasion.
The building will be open to the public all day.
The auto parade, for which an award of $5.00 will be given for the best trimmed car, will take place in the forenoon; also decision as to the largest load of people coming to the celebration, for which $2.00 will be paid the person bringing them in.
Gov. W. H. Ferris is expected to arrive shortly after noon by auto from Vicksburg and will deliver an address in the opera house, followed by a short program. After which he will be taken to Sturgis in time to catch a train for Chicago.
During the day the following program of sports and games will be pulled off: Foot race, 100 yards, $2.00 and $1.00; wheelbarrow race, $1.00 and 50¢; fat man’s race, $1.00; sack race, $1.00; tug of war, $1.00; ladies nail driving contest, $1.00 and 50¢ and other games and sports.
The Coldwater and Colon ball teams are scheduled for a game at 3 o’clock.
The day’s festivities will close with a social dance in Godfrey’s hall, music by Gwin’s orchestra.
Special Prizes for the largest squash delivered to Ely & Goodrich’s Cash Market, $3.00