From the Colon Express, March 14, 1946: “The Reverend Clyde Hildebrand has accepted a regular call to the St. Paul’s Lutheran Church of Colon. He will be installed Sunday at 3:00 P. M. in the auditorium of the Colon School. Reverend Hildebrand has been serving the Burr Oak-Colon parish for the past three and one half years in the absence of Reverend E. N. Birtell who had a leave of absence to serve as a chaplain in the Army. After his graduation from the theological seminary, Reverend Hildebrand went to India as a missionary and served two years. He also held pastorates in Oil City, PA., and Bergton, VA. He left Bergton to enter the Negro mission field of Alabama and Mississippi. There he served as the supervisor Negro churches and schools for five years. After leaving the Negro mission work, Reverend Hildebrand was married to Miss Elda Geyer of Pittsburg, PA., and the couple went to Jackson, Mich., where Reverend Hildebrand had charge of a mission congregation. The Hildebrands have two children, on daughter Sarah and one son, David. In August 1942, Reverend Hildebrand began serving the Burr Oak-Colon parish. He will be the first full-time pastor of St. Paul’s in Colon. He soon expects to take up residence here.” He certainly did and a lot of us remember the kindly gentlemen. Clyde was born in Franklin, Ohio in 1896. He graduated from the seminary in June of 1923. He continued to serve here in Colon until his retirement in 1969. Well, sort of. Reverend Hildebrand had also begun to serve Salem Lutheran Church of Sherman Township in 1956 as an additional parish. He continued in this position until ill health forced him to discontinue his service in 1980 when he was only 84 years old. Reverend Clyde Hildebrand passed away on January 12, 1981.