Robert Wagner Writes WWII

Robert Wagner Writes Home

Colon Express, October 12, 1944: “Mr. & Mrs. Irwin Wagner received a letter from their son, Robert, written September 5: At last I am getting around to write again. We have been so busy lately that we have hardly had time to wash our face and hands once a day. Well, we have battled our way to Belgium. I wonder where we are going next. I don’t think there are very many who don’t have some idea and I think they’re right. It has been sort of hard the last few days, but it’s been fun in another. I can’t tell you what has happened, but we really have had a time … never a dull moment. I have helped chase the so and so’s too darn far to give in now. I never got to see Paris on the way up, but I hope to go back after the fighting is done and see what the place is like. I would like to spend about a year after the war going around these countries. The last few days in France the people were really good to us. One day we were moving up and had to stop for a while. The people who lived in the house that we stopped by were eating dinner and they had some pie. As hard up as they were for food, they gave us the pie, and believe me it really seemed good to get something like that, as we get darn awful tired eating out of a tin can. We can’t complain about our food. There is hardly a time when we don’t have all we want. Boy, these truck companies sure had to work keeping stuff up to us. The Germans would blow a bridge and before the smoke would get settled, here would be some outfit behind us with a bridge. We would put it across and take off again. We saw some of the old places that were used in the other war. They were pretty well caved in, trees have grown up around them, so you couldn’t tell much what they were really like, but you could tell that they were old trenches. Well, I must close, as I want to find out where there is a radio. I haven’t heard any new for nearly a week. Love, Bob.”  January 28, 1941: “John Perry is now in business “on his own” purchasing Hill’s Hardware last week. The business is not new to John, as he has managed the store for the late Mrs. S. G. Hill for the past four years. Mr. Perry had a bit of bad luck this week, coming down with the mumps on Monday and has been confined to his house since. Rather an inappropriate time to be compelled to take time out as the week of the opening of the fishing season is the rush time of the year in that particular business. John Lake is doing his best to take care of the business until the new proprietor returns.” In 1931: “Kenneth Robbins was seriously injured in a crack-up as he was attempting to land his Waco airplane at the Kellogg airport in Battle Creek, Tuesday afternoon, June 27th.