Skippy LaMore

     Skippy LaMore!


June 18, 1942, The Colon Express: “Skippy LaMore’s Comedians are showing this week in Vicksburg. Skippy is carrying on with his part in the regular performance, but is unable to do his specialties. That theatrical people really cooperate when emergencies arise was proven this week. Blackstone, the magician, went over to Vicksburg Monday night and put on an act of magic between the acts of the regular show, and Monk Watson assisted another night, taking Skippy’s place with a specialty. Mel Melson and another Colon theatrical people are standing by to do a bit any night they are needed.

Blackstone will appear again on the show Friday night and Monk will probably do another act before the show leaves Vicksburg. The show is billed for Hillsdale next week.


July 2, 1942, The Colon Express: “Skippy LaMore, who collapsed on the show at Angola, Ind. Monday night, was taken to the University hospital in Ann Arbor this forenoon.

The opening night of the show in Vicksburg, June 1st, Skippy collapsed after doing his specialty and was taken to the Vicksburg hospital where he remained for nearly two weeks. He recovered to the extent he was able to carry on and the show played two weeks ago in Vicksburg and last week in Hillsdale. The company moved on to Angola over the week and, billed there for all this week.

Monday night, after the first act, Skippy collapsed and could not carry on. He was taken to Angola hospital. This morning he was taken by the Conklin ambulance to the University Hospital and is in very critical condition.

The show was compelled to close and there is very little chance it will be taken out again this season.


July 9, 1942, The Colon Express: “SKIPPY LaMORE DIES AT U. OF M. HOSPITAL. Earl “Skippy” LaMore, widely known comedian and entertainer, passed away at the University Hospital at Ann Arbor, Wednesday, July 8th, at 9:15 a.m. When the word reached the home folks here in Colon Wednesday afternoon it cast a pall of sadness along the business section and in every home. It was difficult to believe this man who was a friend to everyone, young and old, and who had lived to make others happy, and as a comedian had created a million laughs, had been taken from us.

It was known by intimate friends that Skippy was not in the best of health before going out on the road this summer, however no one realized his condition was serious until his collapse on the show. The opening night of the show in Vicksburg on June 1st, he became suddenly ill, and he was confined to the hospital for three weeks. Being true to the showman tradition, “the show must go on”, Skippy and his company fulfilled their engagement the third week under most adverse conditions.

From Vicksburg the show moved to Hillsdale the following week, and then went on to fill the booking for a week at Angola, Ind. On the opening night, Monday, June 29th, after the first act, Skippy became suddenly ill and was again taken to the hospital. On Wednesday, July 1st, his condition became most serious and he was taken to the University Hospital in Ann Arbor for observation in charge of the country’s most noted brain specialist. He died of a repeated cerebral hemorrhage.”


Extract from The Sturgis Journal, July 9, 1942: “Funeral services for Earl (Skippy) LaMore, veteran showman and a resident of Colon since 1929, will be held Sunday at 2 p. m. from the Conklin Funeral home here. Burial will be in Lakeside Cemetery here, where the Masonic Lodge will conduct it rituals.

Lamore was born in Ohio, Oct 17, 1894. his mother died when he was only two and a half years old. On Dec. 11, 1913, he married Miss Jean Rozelle and they worked together in vaudeville, as a team, for 12 years, touring all over the United States and Canada on “big time”, and playing in New York City for several seasons. In 1930 Mr. and Mrs. Lamore opened their own show and have since covered Michigan, Indiana and Ohio. Mr. LaMore paid his first visit to Colon 27 years ago as a vaudeville entertainer. Traveling through here on the train they saw the beautiful lakes and attractive surroundings and decided to stop for a day. That was 27 years ago and they have made their home here since 1929.

LaMore shared the Michigan Tent Show Circuit with four other dramatic companies.

Beside his wife Mr. LaMore leaves his aged father in Dayton, O. He had no children.”