HISTORY OF ST. JOSEPH COUNTY, MICHIGAN, WITH ILLUSTRATIONS, Published by L.H. Everts, Philadelphia, 1877,
Thomas Jefferson Hill
Lived all his life in St. Joseph County, attending public schools and received supplementary education. At age 17 he began as a salesman in his father’s store. He was a mercantile field man for about seven years.
His father and brother formed the bank in 1870. He became president of the bank in 1909. His son Frank E., was cashier. In 1891 he assumed management and superintendent of the Lamb Knit Company which had been organized two years previously. This became one of the leading industries of Colon. He resigned from that management in 1910, after 19 years with the firm.
He married four times; Second to Mertie Smith. To them were born Fannie and Charlotte; his third wife was Bertha Good. Their children were Raymond G. and Ruth. Of the first wife, Fannie Crippen, two sons, Frank E. who survived. His last wife was Mrs. Evelyn McNeil Doak. They had three children, Marian Elizabeth in 1900, Edwin R. Hill Jr., 1901; and Thomas J. Hill Jr., 1910.