In the summer of 1926, his wife, Inez, drove her car south (by chance) from Kalamazoo through Leonidas and into Colon. At the western edge of the village she noticed an Island on Sturgeon Lake. Upon investigation, she found that the island was for sale, and she placed a down payment on the property. Harry found that the island was ideally suited for his purposes.
First of all, Harry like to fish and the island had access to a lake and the St. Joseph River. There was also a railroad in town, and an Opera House that could be used for rehearsals.
The Island also allowed for considerable privacy.
From 1926 until 1949, Harry Blackstone called Colon his home.