Remember Bartholomew’s Clothing Company?
Colon Express, 1952: “For the balance of the month of August the R. J. Bartholomew clothing store will be the center of activity, with friends and customers of longstanding dropping in to attend the store’s fiftieth anniversary. Roy Bartholomew has the distinction of being the senior business man of Colon’s main street, having served the public in the same location for fifty years. Roy can count several families of five generations on his fifty year customer list, and that is a record few merchants have. “The Hub” as the store was known for many years, catered to the needs of people In such a manner that its customers now come from many miles around, in fact many of the former Colonites who have moved to distant points come back to Bartholomew’s today to do their shopping. Dependable merchandise and fair dealing over those fifty years have established the store as one of the best in this part of the state.
Bartholomew’s Store on the left, in 1909.
Going back to the beginning, R. J. Bartholomew and Henry Neuman, both engaged in the mercantile business in Sturgis, decided to go out “on their own.” In September of 1902 they bought the F. W. Briggs store in Colon, and the store at that time was labeled “The Hub”, which name clung on for many years.
Looking west down State Street in downtown Colon. Bartholomew’s Clothing Store is at the far end of the north side.
This partnership continued until 1907 when Roy bought the Neuman interests and in later years bought the three story building where the store is now located. Just for records, a list of the clerks who have been employed at the store during those years … Otis Kline, two years, and Calvin J. Richards, ten years, both genial gents many will remember. The present clerk, St, Clair Carpenter, Jr., has been on the job since 1938. Dale H. Baad came to the store in 1920. To lighten R. J.’s burdens, Dale Baad became a partner in the business several years ago, and has taken over the management, giving Roy the much deserved “time out”, however he is at the store practically every day and is their full-time during busy seasons. Mr. & Mrs Bartholomew were very active in all affairs of the village and community for many years, but of late, have been more retiring from social and business activities … spending a bit of time on trips and possibly by wintering in warmer climate. As regards the 50th Anniversary Jubilee at the store, you will want to drop in and see the special attire for the occasion, beginning tomorrow and continuing throughout the month. We join the hundreds of friends in extending congratulations.” For those who don’t remember, the Bartholomew store was located on the NE corner of Blackstone and State, in the building that is now Dawn & Phil’s Restaurant.